Local Foods Grocery Boxes will support the MAAFA Redemption Project
in West Garfield Park, Chicago. MAAFA Redemption Project recruits at-risk emerging adult men from the area to invest in them with housing, employment, educational opportunities, and evidence-based wrap-around social services. Local Foods will make regular deliveries of food to MAAFA starting in July, sourced from our local network of farmers and food producers. 25% of the purchase price of your Local Foods Grocery Box will go directly to that program.
Contributions can also be made directly here
to support Local Foods donations to MAAFA Redemption Project.
The Produce Box includes more than 10 lbs of Produce staples from our favorite local farms*
- Garlic Scapes from Tempel Farm in Old Mill Creek, IL
- Cucumber from Nelson Huber in Cerulean, KY
- Green Zucchini from Mahlon Hornen in Cerulean, KY
- Salad Greens from Revol Greens in Medford, MN
- Tomatoes on Vine and Cherry Tomatoes from MightyVine in Rochelle, IL
- Apples from Lehman's Orchard in Niles, MI
- Russet Potatoes from Worzella & Sons Farm in Plover, WI
- Sweet Yellow Onions from Nichols Farm in Marengo, IL
* Free Delivery included to one of our special pickup locations
** Products subject to change with availability.
*** Wooden crate not included
Revol Greens uses a hydroponic growing system that is 30x more productive than traditional lettuce growing, while 90% less water, to deliver fresh lettuce and arugula to the Midwest year-round, saving over 2000 miles and 4+ days of transit compared to product from CA or AZ. They capture rainwater from the roof for closed-loop irrigation, which ensures no dumping of nitrogen-heavy water into nearby watershed.
Their specialized growing system keeps base of the plant elevated slightly, causing the roots to work to reach nutrient-rich water, giving the greens their heartiness and crunch. Machine harvesting and packing means that Revol Greens are never touched by human hands, eliminating the food safety risks of most leafy greens.
MightyVine tomatoes are grown year-round in their 21-acre glasshouse farm in Rochelle, IL, 78 miles west of Chicago. They ripen on the vine before they are picked and delivered within a day or two to Local Foods, bringing you the freshest and most flavorful tomatoes around.